Christmas is the time of giving, but buying a gift for your loved one can be a daunting experience and buying jewellery as a gift even more so. So, how do you choose jewellery for your girlfriend? What does she like? What does she need? What’s her size? Here are Pica LéLa's tips on choosing jewellery for that special girl in your life. Happy Shopping!
Pay attention to:
1. The jewellery she wears now.
2. The clothes she wears most often, and make sure you pick jewellery that matches and complements them. As you see her dressed up for different occasions e.g. work, a dinner out, a party, try to take note of the type of jewellery she is wearing.
3. Go peek in her jewellery box, and look at what she has or what she doesn’t have! Look for items that she is perhaps missing – does she have a ring and necklace, but no earrings to match?
4. Be aware of her metal allergies. Most allergies are to base metals like nickel, zinc and copper because they oxidize or corrode easily. But allergies to precious metals aren’t uncommon. Keep in mind that sterling silver is an alloy of silver with about 7.5% copper and often causes reactions on sensitive skin.
Think of the following:
1. Type of Chain
Rose Gold, White Gold, Yellow Gold, Silver...are a few types of chains available for necklaces. Ask her friends or observe what metal type she generally wears. You don’t want to give her a white gold plated necklace if she loves and usually wears rose or yellow gold for example.
2. Chain Length
Different lengths fit different outfits and occasions.
Collar or short necklaces, measure about 12 to 14 inches long and which sit close around the neck. This length is best for elegant occasions, for parties and formal dinners.
Choker necklaces hang just below the neck and measure 14 to 16 inches long. Very on trend right now, making a fun and subtle style statement.
Princess necklaces are the most popular necklace length, measuring 17 to 18 inches long (usually sitting at your collarbone) and usually worn with a pendant. A princess necklace is perfect for day to day and day to night wear and is the most versatile, suiting most outfits.
Matinee necklaces -If she would like a necklace to be used with her casual and business outfits, this will work well. These measure 20 to 24 inches long.
Opera necklaces are highly recommended for those higher necklines and suit a more formal style, measuring 28 to 34 inches long.
Lastly, rope necklaces measure over 36 inches long and can be worn double or triple strand around the neck for a shorter length.
That might sound like a lot of information so if you would like to give her a necklace with a pendant, the Princess style is your best shot!
3. Personalize your jewellery gift
If the opportunity presents itself, consider adding a subtle engraving or something with her birthstone.
4. Get the right size
Take with you one or two pieces of jewellery she already owns as a guide. She’ll put on your gift right away, and a poor fit is an immediate disappointment to her.
Need more ideas on what to get for her? Take a look at our Pica LéLa new products for some jewellery inspiration!